Paypal

Monday, March 14, 2011

March14, 2011

Greatness comes not when things always go good for you. But greatness comes when you're really tested, when you take some knocks, some disappointments, when sadness comes. Because only if you've been in the deepest valley can you ever know how magnificent it is to be on the highest mountain. ~Richard M. Nixon


When tragedy strikes, many people ask the question "Why did God do this to us" or "Why does God allow bad things to happen?". Tragedy surrounds us every day in the world today. All we have to do is turn on the news for just a moment to hear about a death of some sort. A life ended too soon, for one reason or another. Our simple question is, why?

First of all, let me say that I do not believe that God causes tragedy in any way. You see, we live in an imperfect world, dominated by sin and bad things because of the fall of Adam and Eve. Jesus Christ shed blood on the cross and bought back what was important to him. His people.

We have been given a choice to allow God into our lives, but we still live in a place that will always be full of people who choose not to allow God in. There will always be happenings that we cannot explain, other than to say the earth was not bought by Christ's blood, only the people. Thank God, if something were to happen to me, I do not worry about where I will be for eternity. However, as long as I am living on this earth, I will still have questions regarding tragedy.

Today, the question was posed to me, "Does grief make us stronger?". I have to say that I think it could make us stronger, but it is definitely a process. I do, however, believe without a doubt in my mind that no matter what the circumstances, God will prove Himself through the tragedy time and time again. Even though He does not cause tragedy by His own hand, He has always shown himself true to me in my time of grief.

I have so many examples of this, but I will point only to one that is probably relateable to all. I remember the craziness of September 11, 2001. I was getting ready to go into work and heard all the news unfolding as it happened on my car radio. Obviously it was a week or so full of tragedy, loss and tears. About a week afterwards, there was a movement among Christians (which everyone seemed to be at that moment) to pray. So, a friend and I got all the people in our neighborhood together, and we formed a prayer circle in the middle of our street. We prayed unashamed and out loud. It was quite a moment. As much as it might have felt like a hypocritical situation to see people who never attended church suddenly calling themselves Christian and even praying, I was very happy to see God show Himself as Lord over America. Even though I still believe God does not cause tragedy, I know that it will always bring us closer to Him. What an amazing thing to see an entire nation turn to God, even if for only a week or so. Now I know where their hearts stand, and it makes it even easier for me to reach out to people.

In my life I seen my fair share (possibly even more) of tragedy, on a global and personal scale. It is these experiences that enables me to answer the questions my brain forms when the unexpected occurs.

Two things I know:

1. Tragedy and grief will occur.
2. God will always use it to bring good.

When the distractions and sadness surrounding us are bigger than ever, may we keep our eyes fixed on Him, the only Hope we ever needed.

~2 Corinthians 1:4 - Who comforts us in all our troubles, so that we can comfort those in any trouble with the comfort we ourselves have received from God.

Thanks for reading!

Julie

1 comment:

  1. Perfect--I could not agree more. I can't even tell you what a relief it is to hear someone acknowledge that God is a loving father who doesn't bring on tragedy. =)
    I know that Jesus is the reason for my joy, no matter what is going one around me, and that the joy of the Lord is my strength....so does grief make me stronger? No, but Jesus pulling me through it and bringing good from what the devil meant for harm does. =) Thanks for this Julie--it's really good to read.

    ReplyDelete