Paypal

Friday, July 1, 2011

July 1, 2011

The winds that blow through the wide sky in these mounts, the winds that sweep from Canada to Mexico, from the Pacific to the Atlantic - have always blown on free men. ~Franklin D. Roosevelt


It seems that Independence Day is on us again. It is, by far, my favorite holiday of the year. Since I was a little kid I have felt a deep devotion to the Red, White and Blue. I love America and I am so patriotic that I will shed tears every time I hear Francis Scott Keys infamous song. I think about what he would have been seeing when he penned those lyrics, and how it must have made him feel. I think about the people who gave their lives before they even knew or tasted the freedom they fought for. I think about the love of country that would, to this day, cause nearly every American to be willing to sacrifice their own life to keep what we have.

America is the longest standing Constitutional Democracy in the world's history. That makes us a historical figure as we stand in one of the world's ruling positions. It also, however, makes me realize that what we have and what we have spent decades and centuries building is a very fragile thing. Since it is once again the Fourth, I will choose to humbly remember and celebrate one more year of passionate, history making and freedom giving success in our country.

Maybe what I have in the way of patriotism is a higher dose than some of you out there. I do think that it is an amazing and ironic thing that God has chosen to put a strong passion for another nation, such as Albania, in the heart of someone who is such an American patriot. I do think that it could be His way of testing my faithfulness to Him. Of course I will give up the things I love most for His purposes. That will never be a question in my mind.

When I realized I would be spending this year abroad, I also realized that means that I will be the only person I know celebrating the 4th. It is a weird thing to not have anything to do. Maybe I will force my non-American friends to do a picnic with me. (Insert evil laughter here).

To my fellow Americans: If you are at home, please celebrate (responsibly of course) and take a minute to listen to the Star Spangled Banner play as the sight of fireworks fill the sky. Realize that the fireworks are used because they represent the "Bombs bursting in air" that lit up the sky so the Key could clearly see the victory of his flag still there. Our flag is still there. Celebrate for me.


Thanks for reading,

Julie

2 comments:

  1. Kaboom!!!
    How 'bout I celebrate with you?
    In our hearts @ least...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Julie, I too, am spending my first 4th abroad and it is an odd feeling...especially living in the country that we split from! I'll always love America but will follow God no matter where He leads me.

    ReplyDelete